Saturday 5 November 2011

A city that never sleeps part-2

Mumbai-A city that never sleeps; Part-2
It has been almost 21 months that I expressed my views about this city, now when I have spent almost a month here I have so much to say, so much to share.. As the city is famous for and has a punch line; A city where people come to fulfill their dreams. I too came here with some dreams in my eyes; though I could not fulfill them but yes this city opened my eyes…and taught me how to live, how important it is to face the reality...coming back to the city today when my bags are packed and I am ready to leave the city in few hours, I wonder what is it that made this city so familiar so known, so my own. Though I had been here many a times earlier..but I never had this feeling for the city ever..I always used to think why is it difficult for people to leave the city, what is it that makes them addicted to this city..though I still don’t have  an answer to it but I feel the same..what is it that still urges me to stay back and a part of me wants to be here forever..and though I may try my best to express it in words but you have to live here to feel that..
I remember an incident from few years back when I was on a night halt in Mumbai, it started raining suddenly and as any other nature loving person I wanted to enjoy it..but when I stepped out of my room-in the balcony I could just see tall buildings around and nothing else. I got really disappointed. Because my eyes were looking for greenery the fresh green of the leaves..that addicting smell of mud when water touches it, as if they both have fallen in love.. The droplets on flower petals..the chirping of birds after it had rained. But I could just see few window panes getting wet..the droplets on the car glass standing in parking..and then is when I set my mind that I don’t like this city..it’s so just not me..but today I feel it’s so just a part of me..so just how I always wanted to be..Independent/self-dependent..my space my identity.. it gave me a chance to discover myself.. My priorities in life, my dreams..
I never felt homesick staying here away from my family..thanks to my bro Rajat; who helped me find a nice PG..The land lady; so supportive, my roomy;  very friendly..and as is I started living here I liked the people of the city, they are so very helpful..they take that extra mile to make you comfortable..and I have so much to share so many of them to thank too.. From the uncle at studio who left his shop open specially because I requested that ‘I would be back in ten minutes; please I need the photo urgently’..to the mobile shop uncle who gave me other no. within five minutes because my earlier no. was not getting activated, to the person who returned the money just in fractions of second at mine saying just once that he charged me extra yesterday..to the auto people for being patient enough to answer my queries and finding out way to my place..I am thank full to each one of you who made my stay so comfortable and so home like..Thanks Anupa for the time that you gave..
The blasts on 13th July shattered my dreams (I MISS YOU), but gave me my friends back. I am thankful to each one of them who welcomed me and supported me in hour of need.. and yes of course I also realized that my young sister (frnd) isn’t young she has grown up (Shucha)..
And now I know what made me love the city, the simple mentality of people around here..the simple motto of their life ‘LIVE AND LET LIVE’, no one would interfere in your personal life..you can share as much as you want but they will never be nosy..the city gives you the freedom and sense of responsibility.. even though it might not have much of plantation but this city lets you breathe..you might be stuck in rain for hours..but the time is still yours.. just yours..you may be in hury to reach but you would never be hassled….the small rooms have big hearts to welcome you.. the local train says; I’m at your service-let me know where can I leave you, anytime anywhere.. the rain welcomes you..come share your happiness, enjoy be a kid, don’t worry even if you are sad-I would dissolve your tears into me..The sea says, come talk to me-I will listen to all that you want to share and promise I would never take anything from you-even if I do, you know it would be back to you..i would just wash away the pain..the shells say; take us along we were waiting for you. the markets say we may look crowded but we have something for everyone of you..
What else do I say..I would Miss you MUMBAI…thanks to all of you whom I did mention whom I forgot to mention..
I am sorry MA, for you had to stay without me around you.. you are the best mom any one can ever get.. I’m coming back. I MISSED you so much.. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.. you are my world J and ha see I have proved I can manage a home alone..
CAUTION:-People out here don’t like to be called BHAIYA, but when you go to sabji mandi they would greet you saying aaow BHABHI J and you would keep wondering for moments..is he pointing to me :P

© Manisha Dawar

No comments:

Post a Comment